[governance] i'm slightly shocked

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Mon Aug 8 23:45:26 EDT 2016

On Aug 8, 2016, at 6:19 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
> He might have to – none of this stuff is coming from his mailbox, but from some virus infected PC or the other around the world that’s spoofing his address in the from.  This latest one was from Vietnam for example.
>
> On 09/08/16, 2:52 AM, "Carlos Afonso" <governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org on behalf of ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:
> Again coming from Garth's email. Maybe Garth could cancel this email in the list and use another one?

> On Aug 8, 2016, at 12:00 PM, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:
> ​Malware, no doubt.

Yes, it’s spoofing malware.  And it seems to start up a new cycle about every three weeks.  And thanks, Suresh, for that concise explanation.  The best long description for the particular spoofing/phishing system I’ve found is here: http://wardinewrock.blogspot.ca/2015/09/email-sent-under-my-name-not-from-me.html

That’s a rather long and technical posting, but if you follow it through you’ll see that what I’m experiencing is fairly common and there is no solution.  If anyone knows of another source discussing this particular problem, I’d appreciate hearing about it.

While changing my email might seem like a reasonable solution and helpful to IGC, it doesn’t work for me.  For personal reasons I need to maintain that address.  If the list moderators and/or members feel strongly about protecting other IGC members, then I’ll merely unsubscribe.

GG