[governance] [Igfregionals] Legal Status of National IGFs

Julian Casasbuenas G. julian at colnodo.apc.org
Tue Apr 12 08:54:41 EDT 2016

Hola,

The situation in Latin America is quite similar to the one described by
Paul. There is no legal status for the regional initiative and is just
an event supported by multiple stakeholders that change from year to
year. However, is important to mentioned that there is a leadership by
various organizations that maintains the IGF initiative, search for
support, define the host country and build the agenda.

At national level we have here in Colombia a similar approach, this is
that we are a group of stakeholders mainly from government, private
sector and civil society trying to catch the attention of other sectors
to get more involved such as the academy. We are then a platform without
a legal status (yet).

Best,

Julián

El 11/04/16 a las 18:56, Paul Wilson escribió:
> Hi Arsene,
>
> In case of the AP regional IGF (APrIGF), the event itself is just that
> - an event - which is organised by a Secretariat office within the
> DotAsia organisation in Hong Kong.  So while the organiser has a legal
> status (as an incorporated non-profit organisation), the event itself
> does not.  That said, the APrIGF does have a comain name and website,
> a number of committees and procedures etc, which have been devised
> accoring to expected norms; but which are essentially informal and
> voluntary structures.
>
> I believe this is the situation for quite a few of the national
> initiatives.  In other words, it is not strictly necessary to
> establish a new incorporated legal entity in order to hold an IGF.  It
> is perfectly worklable for an existing organisation to host and
> organise the meeting;  providing of course that that organisation is
> appropriate in structure, is trusted, and performs its role to the
> satisfaction of stakeholders.
>
> You will find that the IGF Secretariat in Geneva also has a number of
> stated expectations of “IGF Initiatives” in order for them to be
> recognised and listed on the main IGF website.  If you have not, it
> would probably be useful for you to review those requirements.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Paul Wilson
> (Chair of APrIGF Multistakholder Advisory Committee)
>

> On 11 Apr 2016, at 22:37, Arsene TUNGALI (Yahoo) wrote:
>
>> Dear colleagues,
>> We are in the process of having our first national IGF in the DRC and
>> we are wondering what legal status to give to it. Is is a non profit?
>> a movement? This question has been asked by our Ministry in charge of
>> ICT to us as the organizing committee.
>> I am writing to inquire which legal status your national initiatives
>> have within your countries. This will help us know how our
>> Secretariat and our own form of MAG will operate. Please do share
>> your experiences.
>> Thanks for your
>> support,Arsene____________________________________________________________
>> To be removed from the list, visit:

>>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Colnodo - Uso estratégico de Internet para el desarrollo
*Julián Casasbuenas G.*

Director

Tels: 57-1-2324246, 57-315-2585596 Cel. 57-315-3339099

Diagonal 40A (Antigua Av. 39) No. 14-75, Bogotá, Colombia

Twitter @jcasasbuenas <https://twitter.com/jcasasbuenas> @colnodo
<https://twitter.com/colnodo>

www.colnodo.apc.org <http://www.colnodo.apc.org> - Uso Estratégico de
Internet para el Desarrollo

Miembro de la Asociación para el Progreso de las Comunicaciones -APC-
www.apc.org <http://www.apc.org>