[governance] [bestbits] Nominations for IGF closing and opening speakers

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Thu Oct 29 00:20:50 EDT 2015

> On 26 Oct 2015, at 4:32 am, Mueller, Milton L <milton at gatech.edu> wrote:

	Sure.
	P2P implies that individual internet clients connect directly to other internet clients, with no intrinsic ongoing distinction between the role of one client and another. Email is built on a client/server architecture - there is a very distinct difference between an email client (using the POP or IMAP or similar protocols to collect email from) and an email server (using the SMTP protocol to receive mail from other email servers, and store and forward). These two aspects of the email system are quite separate, and generally involve separate software, separate protocols, and separate operating parameters.
	It is true that the email server system is decentralised with no intrinsic hierarchy, but it is a network of servers rather than a peer to peer system - email servers have set, stable roles (to accept mail for specific domains) and do not shift these roles and resources around the way a peer to peer system does.
	I think the issue here is confusion of the technical architecture of a service with its economic/institutional structure. In the case of email, its technically a client-server architecture with non-hierarchical connections between servers, while economically/institutionally it is a decentralised system in which each server is responsible for its own service provision and administration.  While not entirely unrelated, the two are separate issues - you could have a peer to peer architecture that depended entirely on a single commercial client, or a server based architecture that was accessible via entirely open source and free software (as email is) or any combination thereof, or other variations depending on the service (Skype, for example, originally used peer to peer for direct communications (and client server for authentication and some other aspects), while being economically a single corporate service - enabling Microsoft to change its architecture to using Microsoft controlled supernodes, thus enabling central surveillance).
	Confusing the technical and economic and institutional architectures like this is a problem, because it leads to confusing the roles of the bodies that regulate the various levels.
	ICANN, for example, is constantly full of arguments along the lines of some group (be it govt/LEA/business/Civil society) saying ‘I want you to fix this problem’ and the ICANN community (or corporation) having to convince them that ‘I know you want to fix that problem, but you can’t fix it here because this is the wrong place’ - because people assume that its technical central role amounts to it being top of a political hierarchy (when actually, ICANN of course has no mandate to overrule national laws).
	Regards

		David