[governance] [bestbits] US Support for Multistakeholder Governance is Conditional on US Remaining in Control

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:00:58 EDT 2015

Dear Suresh,
I suspect the authority may be the same as that that allows ICANN to speak
for "stakeholders across the global Internet community"
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-release/2014/ntia-announces-intent-transition-key-internet-domain-name-functions

Best wishes
Deirdre

On 20 October 2015 at 11:31, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net>
wrote:

> The question here would be how or why he can speak for congress as a whole
> as opposed to current administration policy.
>
> --srs
>
> > On 20-Oct-2015, at 8:48 PM, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On 20 October 2015 1:45:07 pm GMT+01:00, Suresh Ramasubramanian <
> suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
> >> Come on, folks.  Asking a fairly ambiguous question, getting an equally
> >> ambiguous answer and then making a mountain out of a molehill just to
> >> score a point doesn’t sound like a very productive way to go.
> >
> > Dear Suresh,
> > Could you please point out the ambiguity in the questions and suggest
> how we could rephrase it to avoid that ambiguity the next time we ask it?
> Thanks.
> >
> > The question was:
> > The technical stability of the DNS doesn't depend on the jurisdiction of
> ICANN.  Will the US Congress support a shift in jurisdiction?  And will
> there be a continued support for the multistakeholder model if the
> jurisdiction shifts?
> >
> > The transcript for the meeting will be provided soon:
> > https://meetings.icann.org/en/dublin54/schedule/tue-ncuc
> >
> > Regards,
> > Pranesh

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979