[governance] The decentralization of IP addresses

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun Nov 29 20:11:25 EST 2015

Hi Jean-Christophe ,

I appreciate your effort to summarize many conversations across many threads, from your point of view.

But as to your interpretation that my +1 = 'very upset'; I beg to differ. I was merely agreeing with Stephane, and am not at all upset honestly.

As to what is indeed ripe for further decentralisation in an age of Things and other Non-Person Entities with their own Internet addresses among other attributes, that is a better question; but still  not quite on target I humbly suggest.

We are nearing release of v0.4 of the Open Specifications Model, which is completely virtualized and hence decentralized by its nature from cloud to edge; that model incorporates - everything - at all OSI layers, physical or virtual; and beyond. Which exists now, or can exist in the future.  v0.3 is here:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274754770_Open_Specifications_Model_v0.3_Wireless_Grids_Internet_of_Things_Technical_Requirements

Students, faculty and firms from every continent save Antarctica have contributed already, as have many governmental and community organizations.

We are admittedly still far from v1.0, so plenty of time for folks to dive in and contribute in the Open Specification Model's formative phases.

Some of you may recall we have shared every version from the beginning with the Internet Governance Caucus; and that this model builds on civil society values as exemplified by its incorporating the Charter on Internet Rights and Principles into v0.3.

Open innovation communities - wherever - we anticipate will (continue) to contribute to its further evolution, just as for example IGF and its dynamic coalitions on Internet Rights and Principles, and on Internet of Things, are being - synchronized/incorporated into the model itself. Without asking Wolfgang;s or anyone's permission. : )

In sum, I am not at all upset, just +1'd Stephane's  attempt to - politely educate - others who imho are asking off-target questions displaying to be frank, their misunderstanding.  Assuming the target is open/permissionless Internet innovation, wherever, more or less same as it ever was, but now with many many more contributing; that is in that sense further decetralized.

But this time around with hopefully better security and privacy for data & things to keep bad bots and other malicious actors from stealing your bits, identity, or other resources; and with civil society values baked into the model itself.

To be clear, what I am suggesting is you, and others are free to add on to the Open Specifications Model further features and attributes as you wish, without needing to wade into the spheres or domains of IETF, ICANN or RIR allocation processes, since after all who really cares about autonomous systems and networks when their key feature from an Internet point of view is that they -- recognize and pass bits as the sender requested?   If interested in further information on autonomous systems, this article from Geoff Huston does a good job explaining the mechanics and references the relevant RFCs if further study of that aspect of the Intenet architecture is of interest.

Happy to elaborate further, or provide further links, if so requested.

In any case when v0.4 is good to go, we will pass links to that along with 5 or 6 use cases, and open code, to the IGC list; should anyone desire to build one's own open cyberphysical Internet of ....without asking anyone's permission.

Lee