[governance] The decentralization of IP addresses

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 13:43:08 EST 2015

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Jean-Christophe Nothias
<jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear lists,
>
> A view among others.
>
> I note that this topic of 'the decentralization of IP addresses', even
> though a few have mocked the questioner and the question, is raising some
> debate. I was asking myself why do we suddenly have some activity as regards
> to Willy's wishes and questioning?

Probably because those of us who are actively involved in IP address
distribution and administration/policy development have been doing
capacity building around these issues for over a decade on this list,
and it doesn't seem to have much effect on some folk.

As you note below, IP addressing is already "de-centralised".  It is
the most "local", Bottom Up, Transparent, Open, consensus based part
of the current IG regime (IMHO).  CS is actively involved on many
levels. IMHO, IP address policy making IS a CS activity.

nro.net will give you more info, since you asked for a link.

As for the ITU, there is a Internet Coordination Policy doc that discusses this:
www.icann.org/resources/pages/new-rirs-criteria-2012-02-25-en

I posted on Circleid about it many years ago.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20091116_itu_and_ipv6_transition_controversy_at_the_igf/

when the above doc was in v.1 form:
https://archive.icann.org/en/aso/emerging-rirs-01oct00.htm

--