[governance] [bestbits] Nominations for IGF closing and opening speakers

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:16:53 EST 2015

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

John Donne (17th century English poet) wrote – Any man’s death diminishes
me because I am involved in mankind. I borrowed from him last year in
Istanbul.

The death of a good man becomes a total loss, unless we remember his
actions, learn from them and perpetuate them. We are currently remembering
Ronald Koven's actions – can we learn and perpetuate?

It’s the same thing with words. Last year we greeted Nnenna’s speech at
Netmundial with great enthusiasm. Daniel (Pimienta) suggested that we might
distill the speech to arrive at a set of principles. It didn’t get done.

This year we will be inspired all over again by Joana and Nadine – but will
there be a lasting effect, an “outcome”?

Is this something that is worth thinking about by the IGC?

Deirdre

On 2 November 2015 at 02:27, Jean-Christophe Nothias <
jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good to see such an expert in hoax coming to support MM.
>
> I suppose other "technics or science studies" hoaxes such as mass
> surveillance whistleblowing story by Edward Snowden, to denounce the
> champions of multistakeholder freedom of expression, occupy a full chapter
> in this book subtitled "when shit hits the fan". Paint it the color you
> want, serious issues are pending in your wonderful asymmetric digital world.
>

> Le 2 nov. 2015 à 07:02, Suresh Ramasubramanian a écrit :
>
> The technique you describe, Milton, is reminescent of that fine old
> charade called “science studies” - neither scientific nor a study, as the
> Sokal Hoax so ably demonstrated :)
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Intellectual-Impostures-Alan-Sokal/dp/1861976313
>
> (I believe the book is also published as “Fashionable Nonsense” in some
> countries).
>

> Ironically, you were the one who started this thread by couching a
> political argument in technical terms. The current internet was worse, you
> said, because it was less P2P and more concentrated. You said that apps
> were more closed technically, etc. So after making half-baked claims about
> how the technical system is evolving you shouldn’t be complaining when
> people expect you to know your tech.

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979