[governance] APC,  Internet Democracy, IFLA statement at CSTD 2015

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Tue May 12 13:56:04 EDT 2015

Thanks, Parminder for this very useful complement to the APC-IFLA statement.

Quoting your presentation :

I want to add "An as much greater attention needs to be paid on the overall costs of what has been realized e.g. in terms of ICT infrastructures and access ... and was especially celebrated by the ITU during the past WSIS Fora/shows. I mean a lot of telecom cables, routes and parts of networks have been implemented for the sake of competition instead of complementation. This happened in submarine cables as well as on terrestiel cables. Is there any need for eight submarine cables along Africa's West coast? Or for three landing stations in Cameroons ? Or for four OF backbones in Kenya ?. Just three examples taken out from a lot of scandalous duplications. What's more, all these cables ans stations are largely underused in regard of their capacity. This raises THE QUESTION : to the expense of WHICH essential sectors of peoples lives and development were spent these hundreds millions dollars ? Health, education, food, jobs, .... ?

Kind regards

Jean-Louis Fullsack