[governance] For information

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Mar 18 08:21:13 EDT 2015

At 13:03 16/03/2015, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
>On 14/03/2015 11:26, Jefsey wrote:
> > At 20:06 13/03/2015, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:
> >> Dear Jefsey:
> >> You appear to have forgotten to list the 13th bullet point (the 13th
> >> Community) that is the At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) which acts
> >> in the best interests of Internet end users.
> >
> > I certainly know that this is what you wish and try to do. However,
> > unfortunately, claiming acting in the best interest of Internet end
> > users does not mean directly representing them. Lead users (i.e. the
> > permissionless innovation main potential source) and civil sociey are
> > not represented either (neither directly nor indirectly).
>
>I'd be interested in hearing how you propose representing 3Bn people.

Dear Olivier,

Sorry being late in responding. Lot of problems with ... the
internet. I have two ISP, but a single IP ???

as you know I am an icannoclast architectonician (the
inter-achitecture substratum) diktyologist (the network science).
Also an IETF admirer however, until Russ Housley, an oponent to the
IAB procrastination. This has a practical reason: my ambition is a
local user's control on his/her own global digitality.

1. NSA fired me in 1986 because I was in charge of services
innovation at the de facto international PSN technological monopoly.
My ambition was not NSA compatible: their job is that the control is
by the military - and the military industrial establishment obeys (we
[Tymnet Inc.] had been acquired by McDD - now Boeing).

2. I have carried the ICANN/IANA job for the international PSN for 8
years. As a service to national monopolies. As a "sub-" monopoly
(like did Postel)  it works; as a "super-" monopoly it cannot (as
ICANN is trying) without a sovereign anchor point as the NTIA or the
FCC. The internet and the DNS are distributed (35000 CLASSes +
private CLASSes = infinity) and therefore intrinsically competition.
Wanting to control it as a Commercial Consumer Command cannot
technically deliver.

When I say that Russ changed that: he did it through OpenStand/RFC
6852 and the Draft I just appealed. His approach is correct from a
pragmatic point of view but will fail from a political point of view,
unless there is an architectonical adjustment we have to find. His
single point of failure is at the end of
http://www.ietf.org/blog/2015/01/taking-a-step-towards-iana-transition/:
"The NTIA must then consider and approve the proposal."

I am sorry this could have been OK for the US Militaries (their job
is US Defense) ... before, not for all the other IUsers, US ones
included. The reason why is that for everyone the networks MUST work,
and be reliable, sure and secure. No one, no multistakeholder group
can be technically (not considering politically) trustable enough anymore.

Look, I was involved in the PSN (it took 41.5 years for the FCC to
adopt the "PSN" word Louis Pouzin gave to the INWG) deployment a few
months before the Internet project was even introduced, etc.. I
incorporated France at Large as a non-profit gathering the year 2000's
French candidates to ICANN (that ICANN refused in ALAC because we had
no banking account - i.e. we set-up us free from money influence-, I
was in the Joop Teemstra's IDNO team, I still have the excell table
of the 1200 voting members of our icannatlarge site which partly led
to ALAC. I still own the atlarge.org domain name. etc.

 From all this I certainly claim having some expertise about the
internet intelligent/lead use by individual, medium, large and
national users. However, I never claimed to represent them, nor to
act in the "best interest" of all of them. All I can do is to advise,
and guess if a solution will stand over time.

The problem we face is post-democratic.

For a while I thought it could be polycratic. But I eventually found
that what I described is actually holocratic. All comes from the
Pouzin's Paradigm (the network of networks); the Universe is a
polyade - a monade of monades, to be understood as a fractal polyade
of polyades, with a special category: the core monades. This is
purely architectonic (i.e. you can have several architectures to
address the problem).

Two architectonies (architectonic models) have been documented by the
WSIS and by Russ Housley and his fellow chairs, at the time, of IAB,
IEEE, ISOC and W3C.

1. the WSIS consensually committed in Tunis to a people centric
esthetic for the Information Society.
2. the multistakeholder SDO panel discovered that the "huge bounty"
realized by the global economy resulted from a working normative
paradigm "where the economics of global markets, fueled by
technological advancements, drive global deployment of standards
regardless of their formal status".

Ethics is the acknowledge way to reach an esthetic. Here we have to
consider ethitechnics. i.e. the way to technically organize thing for
them to be easier/cheaper to use in an ethical manner than otherwise.

My position is that the WSIS produced an omnistakeholder consensus
which is an architectonical MUST; while the OpenStand
muiltistakeholder consensus is an architectonical SHOULD. The
historical, political, economical importance of the USG (as well as
Europe and BRICS) can be considered as MAYs.

The way decisions are actually networked is as follows : people
become aware, they discuss, they chose their own solutions, they
adapt then through mutual experimentation (sometimes under influence
- the mission of the IETF [RFC 3935] is to "influence the way people
design, use, and manage the Internet in such a way as to make the
Internet work better" through their documents) - and from this an
operational consensus emerges.

What we can do is to contribute to the discussion, to develop our own
solutions (RFC 6852: this is the emergence by coopetition among
global communities), to embody them in our VGNs (virtual glocal
networks) and mutually explore/negotiate/adapt their best
interoperation depending on our different material/immaterial focusses.

As fas I am concerned, after gospelling this for years (discussion),
I think time has come (due to changes in the relative
market/political weight and awareness between military, commercial,
commercial and personal areas; cf. WCIT vote) for many of us to
concernt and develop our own architectural solutions, not to leave
that only to the GAFA, USCC, ICANN, BRICS communities.

My personal approach is simple: I call it a "mecagerm" - i.e. the
germ of a mecanism that can be refined, discussed, etc. and that will
develop by itself when there are enough interested people. The
adopted form right now should be an IUser Cooperative Company at the
Catenet layer (below the Internet/NDN/SDN, etc architecture - i.e.
the whole that is more that the sum of all the digital network of
networks of shared local resources) with a metaphorical focus on the
Missing Layer Six (Presentation Layer: security, intelligence,
formats, languages) most probably easily implemented as a
Virtual-OPES [RFC 3835].

The "civil society" noise is only disruptive and a way (like the
Domain Name "industr"y) to make them believe they are important to
the network and create a blablasystem defense (with its travel around
alibi anchorage) for the true political/industrial/military game -
where those who count are not those who are heard ...

Cheers.
jfc