[governance] Pro-multistakeholderist versus pro-democracy viewpoints

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Mar 10 15:34:34 EDT 2015

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015 13:36:22 -0400
Deirdre Williams <williams.deirdre at gmail.com> wrote:

> I should still like to know what is a "stake" - the thing that is
> held by the stakeholder.

My understanding is that whatever is /at stake/ from the perspective of
a given stakeholder, in the sense of being potentially gained or lost,
is the relevant "stake", and it is "held" as a hope (if it's something
to be potentially gained) or "held fast" (possibly in fear, if it's
something that could potentially be lost).

Disclaimer: These thoughts are shared on the basis of much less
reflection than would go into anything that I write e.g. about
democracy or about human rights, as I am not an advocate for any of the
various theories that are based on the notion of stakeholders, nor am I
an advocate of multistakeholderism.

Greetings,
Norbert