[governance] Response to Jeremy's insinuations (was Re: Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony...)

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 13:19:14 EDT 2015

I'm sure we can toss theoretical schema's around forever (600 pages !?!) but
I think it may be more useful to deal with the practice.  I hardly need to
point to instances of democratic practice with socially desirable outcomes
in all areas, at all levels, over the last 1000 years or so… As for the
practical examples of multistakeholder processes, apart from those encased
in technical issues and the technical community I’m not so sure… However in
the spirit of open inquiry I'm specifically asking for successful instances
of multistakeholder decision making that we can look at, analyse and assess
apart from those which are continuously referred to from within the
technical community ecosystem.

In that instance I'll repeat my question concerning the purportedly
"successful
<http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/resources/news-a
nd-in-focus-articles/all-news/news/a_multi_stakeholder_gathering_adopts_an_o
utcome_document_at_the_connecting_the_dots_conference/#.VPrafDWgmPQ> "
“multistakeholder” process which was the method for preparing the UNESCO
conference Outcome Document…

Here, so far undisputed is how I described this process in an earlier email
“As an aside, if anyone is still wondering how MS decision processes might
actually operate in practice one need only reflect on the processes of
decision making that went into this purportedly multistakeholder Output
Document -- the highly questionable and completely non-transparent selection
of the editorial committee (from a small circle of the Internet Governance
elite), where potentially critical but equally qualified participants were
excluded, where dissenting voices and positions were suppressed, with a
complete lack of accountability to presumed constituencies or "stakeholder"
groups,  and where the outcome was presented quite falsely as a "consensus"
document and output of the associated meeting.”

This is from UNESCO’s press release
<http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/resources/news-a
nd-in-focus-articles/all-news/news/a_multi_stakeholder_gathering_adopts_an_o
utcome_document_at_the_connecting_the_dots_conference/#.VPx8UuG2pq9>
concerning the Outcome Document “A multistakeholder group worked
continuously during the conference to synthesise several rounds of feedback
into an outcome document that could reflect the points of consensus. The
group suggested that a number of proposals to add more detail and additional
debates into the final Outcome Document, would be better reflected with the
study. Leading the multistakeholder group was Mr William Dutton, Quello
Professor, Michigan State University, who had earlier helped UNESCO to
synthesise the many responses and inputs into the draft study. … Other group
members, reflecting a range of constituencies, included Ms Albana Shala,
Chair of UNESCO’s International Programme for Development of Communication
(IPDC); Ms Chafica Haddad, Chair of UNESCO’s Information For All Programme
(IFAP); Mr Jānis Kārkliņš, Chair of Multistakeholder Advisory Group (MAG)
for Internet Governance Forum; Ms Constance Bommelaer, Internet Society
(ISOC); Ms Ellen Blackler, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC); Ms
Anriette Esterhuysen, Association for Progressive Communication (APC);  Ms
Rana Sabbagh, Arab Reporters for Investigative Journalism (ARIJ) and Mr
Erick Iriarte, IALaw.”

Yes, I think it is a very good idea to finally start discussing specifics.