[governance] [bestbits] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Tarakiyee tarakiyee at apc.org
Sat Mar 7 17:07:08 EST 2015

Dear all,

"ill-formed, shape shifting from context to context and lacks any
consistent definition either in theory or in practice," is exactly how
some people from my country would describe their experience with
democracy. We live in a complex world, perhaps even as complex as the
Internet we are discussing how best it be governed.

Intersecting systems of oppression such as colonialism, patriarchy,
classism and supremecy, mean that any particapatory decision making
model would favour some over others. Likewise, the internet is not
flat, power and control is concentrated in some places more than the
others, such as corporates, governmental agencies, quasi-govermental
entities and multi-lateral agencies.

Multiple stakeholders exist, it's not some wishful invention, and it's
the interactions of these multistakholders that has governed the
internet so far. If it wasn't for the hard work of civil society,
there would have been little or no transperancy, no marginalised
voices, and possibly a lot of elitism. If this is the supposed goal of
the so called "MS proponents" as outlined in the thread above, then
the status quo was already much better than whatever "they" would hope
to achieve.

Needless to say, I don't believe such a conspiracy exists. I, as many
others, would like to see the interactions of these multistakeholders
become more transperant, inclusive and democratic, and in that
context, I don't see multistakeholder participation as existing for
multistakeholderism's sake, but rather as a means to achieve
inclusive, transperent, and democratic internet governance.

Am I disappointed to see the word "democratic" not included in the
outcome document? I am, but I won't lose any sleep over it. There is
so much more to take out of the outcome document in order to develop
an equal, just and democratic internet. It certainly won't be easy to
do so, but on the other hand, commitment to democracy in IG also won't
hinge on one document or two.

That is of course not meant to minimize the importance of these
discussions and concerns, I only mean to point to the other equally
important battles being fought. A strong, principled, and nuanced
approach in engagement with a variety of actors is the strongest tool
we have. A constantly adverserial position can be disadvantagous and
draining, especially if it makes us lose sight of gains we achieve.

Tarakiyee

Views here are my own.