[governance] [bestbits] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 15:08:56 EST 2015

Wolfgang,

The issues that you mention of interest to CS are of course important and
should be addressed by CS in all cases, but there is also the overall
necessity to ensure that the broad framework of decision making and the
normative structures which underlie this are supportive of the general good
(including of course, civil society).

The problem is that in the MS model there is no one to protect the public
interest... as was quite evident in this UNESCO instance where the entire
process seems to have been captured by MSists from the very beginning
(surely a framing in terms of democratic values and social justice is a
minimum expectation).

As I think is quite evident in this particular instance as with others where
a MS approach is allowed to frame the discussion, it is not clear at all
that the general good is being or will be pursued.