[governance] [bestbits] Multistakeholder (was: UNESCO)

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 05:17:02 EST 2015

Hello Martin,

Indeed, no one can claim to have the majority of Internet and
especially not have
influence on 80% of all categories communities.

In this process, I would say better "gift, sharing information" because the
finish, we can not reap what we have sown, and even less.

It is a dynamic that must maintain constant boiling to continue having
reactions
or feedback to enrich the debate.

We must continually revisit its own communication strategy and adapted
according
to the context and circumstances.

This is the world of knowledge that is very moving, very mobile, a maze that
requires active attention.

> (trimming addresses)
>
> On Thu, 5 Mar 2015, JOSEFSSON Erik wrote:
>
> > I think Popper once said you should avoid discussions on
> > definitions. They tend to turn into viciously circular infinite
> > regressions. That said, we have problems with lots of concepts and
> > phrases like for example "Everyone should have the same rights
> > online as offline". Rights implies enforcement, enforcement requires
> > a judiciary, judiciary needs a legislator, legislator needs...
> > democratic accountability.
>
> As somebody who worked with elections let me assume a very minimal
> definition of democracy: It's a system, in which when things go wrong
> an unsatisfied majority can overthrow the rulers in a peaceful manner,
> usually by voting them down.
>
> To me, if a system does not meet this criteria, it is not democratic.
> You need a revolution to change things.
>
> Once I told Polish PM, Mr Donald Tusk, a simple thing: "Sir, I am
> afraid we have to assume that the Republic of Poland has no sovereignity
> over the Internet". (We were discussing "illegal online gambling" or so).
>
> Taking the above into consideration the way I think about it now is that
> all the stakeholders needed to realize they nobody (yet?) has an actual
> veto power over the network. So you had to take a step back and
> see that you cannot exercise your power alone.
>
> Multistakeholder model to me started as a way for governments,
> corporations and activits to exchange some views, more
> a communication and education effort rather than any "decision making".
> Maybe it is just the way to *prevent* unilateral ruling by
> any of the parties alone.
>
> Nobody can say they truly represent "the users", or the connected
> community. Nobody currently holds the power to say "things
> go wrong, let's stop". Finding some majority (or even
> a large coherent group) is an illusion.
>
> I like the word "democratic" a lot but I am not sure where
> it should go in this context. Don't get be started on participation,
> representation and all those things that maybe few percent
> of Internet community enjoy in their daily lives.
>
> Marcin Cieślak
> *mostly just lurking here*

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

*SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*

*COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFEC*

*ICANN/AFRALO Member*
*ISOC Member*
Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
skype                 : b.schombe
blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr