[governance] The decentralization of the DNS system

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Tue Jun 23 06:51:37 EDT 2015

Thanks McTim

As indicated quoting was not endorsing. Someone will probably forward to the authors your information regarding Somalia. I am sure they will also note that you consider their idea as a "seemingly unworkable solution" - no surprise to them, I imagine. On a conceptual level their solution is not stupid or unfair.

Still technically speaking, the Chinese proposal is worth to explore, not to mention the fact that at some point the choice won't be ours to accept or refuse whether China and a few countries suddenly decide to handle their own ccTLD, root and inter-root outside the US multi-stakeholder fairyland.

On a personal view, the lists might be happy to support the current scheme (where one sole government leads over IG) and express concerns over a multitude of governments having their due say. That would still be somehow part of the paradox civil society participants live in. Whatever we think of the concept of nation, or the role of governments, the digital planet can only work with them. And not just with one of them. This is why you have the tide coming up our asymmetric path.

JC