[governance] [discuss] [bestbits] The decentralization of the DNS system

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Mon Jun 22 07:30:22 EDT 2015

Thanks McTim. I regret you feel obliged to put some acrimony in this last reply. No need. The "I don't trust you" remark is certainly of no help in any open debate. so keeping head cool, I will keep the debate cool as well. See in-lines.

Le 22 juin 2015 à 12:32, McTim a écrit :

> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global
> Journal <jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net> wrote:
>> Thanks for your additional comments McTim.
>>
>> 1_
>> May I challenge the idea that hierarchy would come without a ruling party at
>> the top.
>

> You certainly may challenge, but as an example in IG which disproves
> your theory is Internet number resource distribution.

I am not building any theory here. I am mostly deconstructing a narrative and giving way to alternative.

No one will be naive enough not to understand that the Internet root zone policy book belongs to hierarchs, whether you look at ICANN, IANA, IETF... This is a smart ruling system, still a ruling system.

Thinking about the concrete meaning of the "global addressing community" it sounds like a nice idea, it might not survive the pragmatic examination of its reality. We would love to learn more about what it is exactly and how this global community interacts, expresses wishes or comes to decision.

> there is a hierarchy (IANA is the "root" so to speak), yet IANA
> distributes according to policies devised not by itself, but by the
> global addressing community.   ICANN does not "rule" IANA actions in
> this area.

ICANN hosts IANA until it will hold it in a few months of time, once the auto-transition is completed.

>> So in such a hierarchic world, the current handling of the ICANN root zone
>> (domain name to IP management) is not only technical, but political
>
> it is more administrative in nature

You underestimate the value of ICANN! Tell them they are administrative in nature. Allocating new TLDs is not just simple administrative in nature. No. Other examples needed?

> ( in a
>> public policy sense) and has to be considered as "controlling" the ability
>> for people to access content, and more as it does public policy rulings by
>> itself. So the right phrasing is who controls and enforces a single root
>> zone is de facto imposing its rulings to anyone. As there was until now no
>> one else to offer such a "service" (well, now it is changing thanks to Open
>> Root), everyone was entitled to believe that there was no alternative to
>> ICANN. Which is a very false idea.
>

> alt roots have been around for a long time, they just haven't gained traction.

Agree with that. Happy that you agree with me as well (alternative to ICANN exists). But then why is it so that only one is leading the party? You should go beyond that well-known fact and help anyone to reflect upon the absence of fair competition, or true public policy making.

Do you have specifics info about the fact that PIR has been given the .ngo new gTLD? We all know that PIR is putting money into ISOC, and into ICANN. Fair?

>> 2_You deny the idea of several root-zone management handlers.
>

> no

Thanks for that.

> You speak of
>> coherence. Indeed coherence is a technical necessity. Having several root
>> zone and several root zone management has to be understood in a very
>> pragmatic fashion. Why is Open Root info coherent with the ICANN root zone?
>> Easy answer. Open Root does as Google does it. It copies it every xx seconds
>> to stay coherent. Then, tell us what forbids ICANN to copy the Open root
>> data? Nothing. I repeat: nothing. Only the idea that having several root
>> zone would jeopardize the single ruling party who obtained its holy
>> authority from divine and natural law. We are talking of files with of small
>> size in terms of octet, and once you are correctly directed thanks to a root
>> zone manager, you navigate safely. Consistency or coherence comes when all
>> the players accept to inform or be informed of what any root zone offers.
>> Let's keep in mind that the basic coherence lies with IP addresses, and that
>> the root-zone itself has no power to deprive an IP address from its content.
>

> right, so the DNS is simply a convenient layer of misdirection, which
> negates your argument above re: "controlling who sees content.

McTim, don't you have any better trick to escape my point. Being able to "see", "find", "access" is critical in any communication system. I don't think we need to ask everyone to read the "The Theory of Communicative Action" to understand why the DNS is essential, and core to the current asymmetry in the public space.

>> It can only be blind to it. The game is simply to direct a visitor, calling
>> on a domain name, directly, or through redirection, to reach a file located
>> at an IP address or a set of IP addresses able to locate the requested
>> files.
>>
>> 3_
>> The  idea of a broken Internet is fun, but simplistic and again false. But
>> as Open root offers new TLDs with a very good bargain, we haven't seen the
>> Internet being broken. It would be known if it was so.  Indeed it will
>> simply not do that, whether it operates a single new TLD  or  a thousand
>> TLDs. It will enlarge the Internet by adding more TLDs to the web. And no
>> one would get lost.
>
> Exc  ept in the case offered whereby you are the Registry for .ngo,
> and so is PIR.  Once you offer a name that is also in the PIR
> zonefile, but has a different IP address, then coherence is "lost".

No coherence is lost, as soon as you understand that technically speaking several root zone managements can allow to give you "results" as Google is giving you "results" when searching for something (and not just one result). Then you pick up the website that you want to explore. There are other options to maintain the reply consistent with the result of the research. There is no danger to coherence, as soon as you relax a bit about letting things getting back to the original conception of the root zone (before the 1998 power grab by USG and ICANN).