[governance] IANA transition - BR Gov comments on the CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jun 10 05:16:25 EDT 2015

On Tuesday 09 June 2015 08:51 PM, Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
> Parminder,
>
> The link does not seem to work in your paragraph below. Can you :
> /
> /
>
>     /That is one definition of the term, looking at it from a domestic
>     point of view. Here <http://international%20jurisdiction/> is
>     another way to look at it, coming from a global point of view -
>     and of course this current discussion comes from a global point of
>     view. /

Sorry, it is
https://www.icrc.org/eng/war-and-law/international-criminal-jurisdiction/overview-international-criminal-jurisdiction.htm

> As for setting ICANN "under international law", unless I am mistaken
> (and I may very well overlook other ways), I see basically three ways:

A good attempt, and we can work on it, but not sure 3 below can be done
without writing the necessary international law for it, which is only
possible through an inter governmental treaty (1 below), like in France
or India or any other country, whatever be the constitution of a body,
it has to be anchored in an existing or new law written by the
parliament. And if, still pursing the national level analogy, a new kind
of governance body has to be developed, with monopoly governance
functions and powers, like ICANN is, whatever be its constitution, most
likely a new national law will be required for it, through the only
route that law can be developed.

It is important to note here that I am making a distinction between the
constitution of any body, its various processes, its accountability
means and so on, and the law needed to anchor it or support it, or evne
bring it into being. This distinction I see being lost in some of the
discussions here. The former can be multistakeholder or whatever, but
there are some given ways in which laws can be developed. Unless of
course there is some proposal here to propose new ways of developing law
(which is what I fight unclear or incongruent in Brazil's comments). I
will like to know what is your and other people's position on this matter.

>  1. the traditional one for the creation of international
>     organizations, ie: an intergovernmental treaty

I cannot see how can a global governance body - with monopoly governance
functions of the importance that ICANN deals with, can be formed without
its anchoring in international law, which can only be written through an
intergovernmental treaty. And again, my direct question, is there a
proposal to take some new law making route here which is non
intergovernmental.

Even NTIA's condition (not that I consider my thinking bound by it) was
that they will not accept NTIA role to be replaced by an intergov
organisation solution..... I dont read it to means that whatever
organsation replaced NTIA role may not be formulated by international
law/ treaty which can only be arrived in an intergov way.  In fact, as
we well know, unless we are keen to forget basic political sceince
lessons, only law alone can reign the power of law makers - as so many
laws are written with precise objective to constrain the powers of
governments and their various bodies. In the same way,

So, yes, I think there is no way other than to seek an inter-gov treaty
- which in my view should

(1) Sanctify the present way of constituting and working of ICANN and
its associated bodies (with minimal accountability related improvements
that get agreed to by everyone) . Such a treaty then limits what limit
what (all) governments can and cannot do in the area of global
Internet's basic techno-logical policies and management.

(2) Put an oversight body over ICANN with minimal well defined
functions, that is constituted in trans-national but non governmental
fashion, but consists to representatives from groups that are outside
the typical ICANN community and notionally can be considered as a
loosely representing a broad spectrum of social sectors that use ICANN
services (which of course everyone does). We can take reps from well
defined global constituencies like media association, science
associations, disability groups, women orgs, education professionals,
health professionals, ethnic groups and so on. Almost all these sectors
have global representative bodies which more or less are universally
accepted. Yes, there certainly be some arbitrariness in this, but such
an arrangement serves the basic requirement of (1) trans-national global
representative which is not intergov system,  and (2) separation of
power and 'external accountability' vis a vic ICANN community. The main
function of the oversight body will be ensure compliance of ICANN
decisions with international law and its own bylaws and set of guiding
principles.

(3) Some kind of digital bench of the International court of justice or
some similar solution, to which the decisions of ICANN oversight body or
of ICANN itself can be taken, with due process, and under given
conditions. I dont agree to appeal process that are fashioned on
arbitration because while they serve the purpose of private law -
contractual isssues among various parties, all of which are relatively
empowered, they ill serve the purpose of pulbic law and justice, which
involves general public interest, those of the common person on the
street who can never successfully use IRP like processes, these are
simply not developed for such a purpose.

This proposal has been made by me quite a number of times on these lists
, and therefore there is nothing new in it . The comments of Roberto
Bissio, Adviser to CCWG , also contain some elements that are comparable
to the above proposal.

>  1. providing ICANN in whatever jurisdiction it may be incorporated
>     (US or other), with privileges and immunities that would make its
>     decisions non susceptible of recourse in front of the local courts

I am unable to see how any government or rather state will give a
blanket immunity to an organisation, unless in pursuance of an
international agreement (which would also provide alternative
accountability and means of recourse). In any case, an organisation like
ICANN does need some kind of external check on its powers. However, if
you have clear proposal about what and how exactly what you say can be
done, and will work, please share, if possible with examples and/ or
analogies.

>  1. invent a new type of international organization, founded by a
>     diversity of stakeholders (and not only governments), with
>     appropriate independence and guarantees

I have proposed one above (as also often earlier). What exactly is your
proposal and how will it work. And do you envisae such an 'invention'
beign done and sustainef without supporting international law. I cant
see how it is possible. But perhaps you can explain.

> Are you advocating in favor of option 1)?

I have made my position clear above... It is 1 plus 3 in a way.

> Would you be amenable to option 2), if there are sufficient
> accountability mechanisms (including the enhanced IRP proposed by the
> CCWG)?

As mentioned above, I cant understand how 2 works. Please help by
explaining. Further I have mentioned my preference for public interest/
law institutions like some kind of international court over private law/
interest ones, and also given my reasons.

> Do you have suggestions regarding option 3)? We would all be happy to
> identify a new approach.

Yes, I shard it. Look forward to your and other views.

parminder