[governance] [bestbits] IANA transition - BR Gov comments on the CCWG-Accountability Draft Proposal

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jun 7 05:58:11 EDT 2015

On Sunday 07 June 2015 02:28 PM, Mawaki Chango wrote:

> Brother Carlos,
>
> I wish we had this earlier, for it would've made the job easier for
> some of us who could have just submitted "we endorse the Brazilian
> government's comment" as our comment.

Mawaki/ Carlos

I am happy to assist you to seek support for this position in civil
society. Perhaps IGC can endorse it. Further, we can collect names of
those who separately would like to endorse it.

> I particularly appreciate the BR gov clear argument about legal status
> and jurisdiction, including the stated purposes of such argument.

The argument that US courts overruling ICANN decision (something that is
inescapable, and will certainly happen sooner or later) is 'the' key
problem and issue in oversight transition and that such an eventuality
would make a mockery of ICANN as a global governance body, has regularly
been made on this list - along with examples. But good to be waking up
to it even if only when we are fully on the brink - but still, better
late than never.

This issue is indeed fully unsolvable in the current process and in the
current 'paradigm'  - it would be good to also clearly see and
understand this further fact. And there from begin doing what needs to
be done. It is not useful to always wait for arriving on the brink and
then realising. Just wastes a lot of time, and time is power in what is
a fast concretizing global digital order.

parminder