[governance] BRICS

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon Jul 13 11:42:29 EDT 2015

Our messages crossed Wolfgang. I think we are in general agreement. As
civil society what we need is a clear vision of what we want internet
governance to look like - and we need to demand that consistently from
all governments, both in multilateral contexts and in the
multistakeholder space, and in all regions and from all blocs.

Anriette

On 13/07/2015 16:26, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
> [...]
>
> But on top of legally binding hard law treaties there will be more and more soft law instruments or other arrangements. In many areas where we have global problems, governments are and will be unable to agree. States/government have different ideas, interests and objectives and do not want to agree if it comes to issues where they see national interests and national sovereignty at stake. But the system of international relations is much broader and more complex then bi- or multilateral legally binding relationships among governments.
>
> Insofar the  multistakeholder approach allows to find more flexible arrangements which can produce even more stability than legally binding treaties (which can be also ignored when governments change their mind or the circumstances are changing/ clausular rebus sic stantibus) because such multistakeholder arrangements pull non-governmental stakeholders into a mechanism where those groups from the private sector, the technical community or even civil society take committments to themselves to follow certain principles, norms or programms (as described in the WGIG Definition).
>
> Such an approach does not exclude intergovernmental arrangements. They are and will continue to be a part of the broader picture. The language I use is that today "the multilateral system is "embedded" into a multistakeholder environment". So it is not "either-or". You can have both. This are two different layers. And BTW, the Indian minister in BA used the language "multistakeholder and multilayer" mechanism which is correct in my eyes.
>
> With regard to the BRICS: There is the draft convention by the Shanghai Group in the 1st Committee of the UNGA. I expect that it is rather unrealistic that this draft gets universal acceptance. Some elements are reflected now in the new report of the Group of Governmental Experts, which will be published early August and discussed by the UNGA in October. The Ufa Declaration tries to keep the door open. India, Brazil, even China can continue with a "double strategy". But this is part of the political cat and mouse game. The "Ufa Declaration" does not mention anymore a "regional cybersecurity treaty" (as it was considered by some Russian experts). The member states of the African Union have negotiated a regional cybersecurity treaty. So one scenario could be to have three (or four or five) regional multilateral cybersecurity treaties. This is probably gone. A good move. The reality is that we probably will continue with a situation where the 50+ member states of the Budapest
 Conventio
n invite the non-member states to sign and ratify the Budapest Convention and the other governments (including the BRICS countries) propose to have a new convention under the auspices of the UN. Difficult to make any forcast how this will be played out.

> [...]
>
> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20131231_internet_governance_outlook_2014_good_news_bad_news_no_news/
>
> Does this means the ICANN "breakthroughs" of having Brazil and India
> pledging allegiance to multistakeholderism is now meaningless, as the
> heads of state of BRICS have reaffirmed their commitment to multilateralism?
>
> Cheers
>
> Keith
>
> On 10/07/2015 5:42 a.m., "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> the heads of states of the five BRICS Countries have just finished their summit in the Russian City of Ufa.
>>
>> They adopted a 50 pages declaration which includes (as the Forteleza Declaration in Brazil in 2014) also two long paragraphs related to Internet. There are more good than bad news in the document. And pobably one have to read the document by recognizing what is NOT in the adopted language: There is only little use of terminology like "Internet Governance" or "multistakeholderism". They do not mention ICANN or IANA or the IGF or the NetMundial conference. The used terminology is "ICT", the main subject is "security".
>>
>> The key Internet paras 33.4 - 33.6 say:
>>
>> 33.4 We consider that the Internet is a global resource and that states should participate on equal footing in its evaluation and funtioning, taking into account the need to involve relevant stakeholders in their respective roles and responsibilities." And they add in the sama para: "We are in favour of an open, non-fragmented and secure Internet. We uphold the roles and responsibilities of national governments in regard to regulation anf security of the ntwork."
>>
>> 33.5 acknolwledges the need "to promote, among others, the principles of multilateralism, democracy, transparency and mutual trust and stand for the universally agreed rules of conduct with regard to the network. It is necessary to ensure that the UN plays a fascilitating role in setting up international policies pertaining to the Internet.
>>
>> 33.5 We support the evolution of the Internet governance ecosystem, which should be based on an open and democratic process, free from the influence of any unilateral considerations."
>>
>> The other para 35 deals mainly with security questions. In 35.1 the heads of state recognize "the need for a universal regulatory binding instrument on combating the criminal use of ICTs under the UN auspieces.
>>
>> In 35.2  they reaffirm the "key role of the UN" in adressing Internet related security issues.
>>
>> The have also re-established the BRICS Working Group of experts on security in the use of ICTs. This Group will enhance cooperation among BRICS countries, including collaboration among existing CSIRTS.
>>
>> Would be good to know why they did not mention IANA Transition, IGF and WSIS 10+

Anriette Esterhuysen
Executive Director
Association for Progressive Communications
anriette at apc.org
www.apc.org
IM: ae_apc