AW: [governance] A Response re. Just Net Coalition and Internet Social Forum

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Fri Jan 30 06:04:21 EST 2015

Hi Jean Lois, Sean etc.

good that you remember the Geneva CS declaration from 2003. As you know, the WSIS 10 conference in December 2015 will be a purely intergovernmental meeting with a final intergovernmental document. They want to have a multistakeholder discussion phase before the intergovernmental negotiations phase. With other words, there is no way for CS to participate in the drafting of the final document from a CS perspective.

As you know I have proposed (from confusion to clarification) that CS organisations start to be more concrete in their discussions and bring substantial ideas to the various agenda points (my four baskets)in form of a CS IG Handbook. As you have seen from the conversation this is not easy and produces a broad range of supporting and opposing voices. However, such a "Civil Society Internet Governance Handbook" would only make a contribution to the planned WSIS 10+ multistakeholder consultations. It would not constitute a document like the CS Geneva Declaration from 2003.

It would be great if somebody could start also a drafting process for a CS Statement for WSIS 10+ in New York. Such an Independent document should take the Geneva Declarationm from 2003 as a starting point and check what has been achieved and what not and what remains to be done. One could formulate some new objectives and pout this into an Independent document called "A Civil Society WSIS 2025 Agenda".

Wolfgang