[governance] A Response re. Just Net Coalition and Internet Social Forum

Sean O Siochru sean at nexus.ie
Fri Jan 30 03:53:49 EST 2015

HI everyone

I read Jeremy Malcolm's comments about JNC and ISF (and I see a follow up
by Philip Corwin) in IGF
watch:
http://igfwatch.org/discussion-board/who-are-the-just-net-coalition-and-what-can-we-expect-from-the-internet-social-forum#TIZtZ3Dh3r82NcRd0TaSzw.
I think it was reposted on this list.

As a self-confessed serial communication activist of 30 years - and as a
member of JNC and involved in the ISF idea -  I am pretty flabbergasted,
but also a bit insulted by them.

I don't recognise the JNC and ISF described in Jeremy's note. The people he
singles out are highly active in both but I can assure him that JNC is a
lot more than them and has lively and open debate. It is not a mouthpiece
for any clique - to suggest it is denigrates the multitude of others
involved -  but it is a serious effort to raise the need for truly
democratic internet governance.

As for the Internet Social Forum idea: Like the WSF itself, it is wide
open.  By its very structure none can dominate it - we all need simply to
respect the SWF basic philosophy.  Yes, it will take a lot of logistical
effort and I applaud anyone willing to take that on.  But the real
beneficiaries of an ISF will be all those who want to share ideas on
'another Internet is possible' and then - after the event - want to start
to build it with like-minded people. There are no hidden agendas there, and
it is a great opportunity to bring in activists from all kinds of different
areas into this key debate.

All are welcome, Sean

Seán Ó Siochrú: sean at nexus.ie  tel: +353 1 272 0739  mobile: +353 87 2048150
14 Eaton Brae, Shankill, Co. Dublin, Ireland
NEXUS Research Cooperative http://www.nexus.ie/