[governance] Results of the IGC 2015 Coordinator Election - Welcoming the newly elected co-coordinator

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Jan 20 05:45:20 EST 2015

Thank you Mawaki for all your good work. You have raised important points
that members should deliberate on. Congratulations Analia. Thanks Arsene
and Uddin for offering yourselves to serve.

On 19 January 2015 at 22:13, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:

> After the election started, we were reminded of the need to add an
> abstention option for those who do want to exercise their right to vote
> (and be on the record for participating in the election) without the
> obligation to give their vote to one or another of the candidates standing.
> After checking, it has appeared that a "No candidate" vote was in option in
> the last election cycle (2014). However, we first missed that as we were
> using a template from the latest election where only one coordinator was to
> be elected, which was in 2013 (in 2014, the two co-coordinators were to be
> replaced.) Hopefully now we will systematically have an "Abstention" or "No
> candidate" option (whichever the Caucus finds more appropriate) on the
> ballot next to the candidates' names.

4) None of the nominees = 1 (0.52%)

It seems the "None of the nominees" vote is not very popular with ICG
members anyway.

Total number of tokens generated and invitations sent = 488
> Total number of valid votes (survey completed) = 163

Can the results be termed as voter apathy? 163 votes is about 33% turnout
and we should aim for at least 50%. Are there any lessons learned on why
there were many spoiled/uncompleted ballots?

Regards

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson