[governance] Article on national sovereignty and communications in Indian Magazine Diplomatist

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Jan 12 20:14:56 EST 2015

At 00:36 13/01/2015, Barry Shein wrote:

>We might just as well use the ISO 7-layer model to talk about this,
>no?

Yes and no. OSI 7layers was by Michel Elie/Huber
Zimmerman, i.e. people from IRIA (i.e. public research  not from an operator).

>Nonetheless I can imagine a view by AT&T et al that the internet is
>largely just another layered service to them (and others), like E911
>or various multi-drop private branch exchange systems.

Absolutely. This is why I modelize these three strata :

1. the catenet is much larger than onlt AT&T et al. It includes
     - the private bandwidth (remember that PS
came in parallel to commercial and satellite
bandwidth the FCC and PTTs had to simultaneously accomodate).
     - the local hardware. In the case of Tymnet
there was a network multiservice/technology front
end under network operating system. In X.25 or
the Internet there are only the edges connected
to the front-end/proxies (boxes) on the userside.
Without considering my full VM IUI (intelligent
use interface) or MyCANN Plug-in the catenet
extends on hardware/software belonging to the user.

2. We agree on Operators (except that there are
services that they offer or might offer) that are
outside of the OSI model. I suspect that all the
blahblah about network neutrality will fade away
with NDN/Netflix (strangely enough no-one discussed Akamaï)

3 My personnal area (extended and semiotic
services) actually span through OSI-6/OSI-7 and
far beyond. Theur "ecology" is also quite
différent (the digital neworks only cover passive
content information communications, I am mostly
interested in active content intellition, i.e.
also in complex communications, meanings,
intercomprehension). Services that I see delayed for 30 years :-)

Status-quo is NSA compatibility. Permissionless
innovation is roughly to start back to my 1985/86
budget plan. Things and Libre takes time.
However, you may delay demands, not prevent needs.

jfc

jfc