[governance] Article on national sovereignty and communications in Indian Magazine Diplomatist

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Jan 12 19:49:53 EST 2015

At 21:46 12/01/2015, Lee W McKnight wrote:
>PS: And to reply to Jefsey's critique of Milton's article....there
>is the Internet and much more around the Internet; much of - that-
>can reasonably be governed/managed and be legally controlled by the
>usual suspect national legal arrangements, no doubt. But starting
>your critique by claiming the Internet went off the rails in 1986
>when...the usual suspect national authorities (including USG/DOD)
>and ITU and EU and Japanese governments

Dear Lee,

I never said the internet went off the rails in 1986. I said the
world was condemned to the internet by the US military industrial
interests in 1986. Barry explained you what he did in life. I am
sorry I also have to tell you why I can tell this: because the
decision of the TCP/IP "status-quo" strategy was taken against me, my
department, Tymnet Extended Services and in particular against my
"Eurolab" on-going project. The same as it was taken in parallel
against Doug Engelbart's Tymshare Augment division. (our Augment vs.
Extend conceptual debate about the technological singularity did not
interest McDD very much).

>were all trying to strangle the strange new...statistically
>multiplexed beast in the cradle,

Surprising :-) In case I might have missed what this beast might be
for the last 45 years, and since you advise Barry to google
"statistical multiplexing", I did it. This led me to wikipedia that states:

"Examples of statistical multiplexing are:
    * The <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream>MPEG
transport stream  ...
    * The <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol>UDP
and <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol>TCP
protocols, ....
    * The <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X.25>X.25 and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_relay>Frame relay ....
    * The
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asynchronous_Transfer_Mode>Asynchronous
Transfer Mode .. "
It happens that this all were some of the technologies I offered PTTs
to implement worldwide at this time, I am not sure which one you
suggest the internet made work better (with one exception, see below).

>in favor of a more controlled/tarriffed open systems interconnection
>model of the future...well sorry you seem to neglkect the 3 billion
>or so now free to chat about whatever they want now in ways they
>could not, back in the day.

True.

The international network we deployed from 1977 to 1986+ was open,
neutral, secure, multitechnology, spam proof. You know what? people
could even use TCP/IP to connect the network, even on an end to end basis.

However, you are right: due to our multitechnology multiplexing
architecture, the traffic on our lines was not NSA compatible !!!!

This is what has made the internet experimental technology to be
politically chosen by the US industry. NSA compatibility! (NB. At
that time it was not to spy on people, but to protect their
no-built-in-security TCP/IP machines.

This has delayed the deregulation, we had pieoneered with the FCC,
and the deployement because it led to a dual monotechnology
development of the digitality instead of the IEN 48 intended
multitechnology the NSA could nof accept and TCP/IP could not secure.
Now (one month ago) the IAB has called for  the 30 years+ delayed
work to be engaged to harden the TCP/IP protocol stack and provide
security and authentication as this was built-in the first internet
(international network) under Tymnet architecture in 1977 (US/EU)

However, more probably, the ISP offering is now going to switch to
multitechnological support, based upon the OpenStand RFC 6852
paradigm and the recent USIETF fork (ultimate decision IRT the TCP/IP
technical governance by the NTIA).

Take care.
jfc

.