[governance] Article on national sovereignty and communications in Indian Magazine Diplomatist

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Jan 12 19:55:12 EST 2015

At 19:50 12/01/2015, Barry Shein wrote:
>Reading the article what strikes me is: How is the internet different,
>fundamentally, from the voice or sms telephone
>networks (which most ofthe internet travels on),
>or postal and package carriers, as a few
>examples which come to mind?

Dear Barry,

this is very interesting question as it shows
that what is of main interest in the internet
phenomena and its governance is not the network
but the digital nature of a global pervasiveness
(like radio, money, etc.). The network aspects are at three strata:

- lower catenet layers: the layers shared with other networks, like telephone.
- middle layers (end to end protocols) that are
specific to technologies (like the internet,
Myrinet, Ethernet, Infiniband, NDN, etc.).
- fringe to fringe upper-layers extended services
(like security, authentication, IA, µpayment, etc. etc)

The lower layer is locally oriented (states). The
fringe to fringe layer is at individually
orientfed (civil society, Free/Libre). The end to
end layer is commercially managed i.e. depending on markets (cf. RFC 6852).

jfc