[governance] Text of Parminder's input

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 13:50:17 EST 2015

Thanks for this very interesting reference Garth.

I have several points of disagreement (as well as points of agreement) but I think the major one and the one from which the other disagreements flow is the following:

You say:  “the  governance  structuring  complex  adaptive  systems,  or  self-organizing systems  like  the  Internet,  is  internalized  or  distributed  among  the  elements  that  make  it  up.

The  parts  of  the  whole  system  all  contain  within  themselves  simple  rules  of  relationship

that  govern  the  structure  or  patterns  of  behavior  that  the  whole  expresses  in  the  world.

I think that it is possible to see the arrangements you are describing above in some idealized misty past of the Internet (or perhaps more likely an idealized misty vision of what the Internet could and should have been), but the reality as seen and experienced in “this is 2015” is, as I’m expecting that you will agree, rather different.

What we see is governments globally attempting desperately (and frequently successfully) to “govern” their portion of the Internet; efforts towards global governance regimes which by enshrining either a “presence” or an “absence” of “management” structures ensure in either case that the future Internet will be managed by forces which have little or nothing to do with your “complex adaptive systems”; and finally we have the rapid emergence of global transnational corporate driven “platforms” which in their mode and content of governance mirror, challenge and supersede national (and supra-national) structures of governance in support of private corporate interests.

You may wish for some sort of hidden hand as the ultimate governance dynamic of the Internet but I think it is rather more in the form of velvet gloves over (rapidly emerging if still to some degree emerging) fists of steel.