[governance] [bestbits] JNC's comments on ICANN oversight (non) transition

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Fri Aug 28 04:20:02 EDT 2015

Dear Parminder,
Thank you very much for sending these.  Other than one or two small
difference, I find myself almost fully in agreement.

The ICG report, which supports the PTI proposal by the names community,
is utterly status quoist, and doesn't address the questions of
jurisdiction at all.

In fact, it doesn't even call out the attempt by ICANN to ensure that
PTI will be US-based (a requirement listed in P1. Annex S).

Regards,
Pranesh

parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> [2015-08-18 18:38:31 +0530]:
> Just Net Coalition has submitted its comments to the process that is
> coming up with proposals for what was supposed to be the transition of
> ICANN's oversight from the US to a globally legitimate structure, but
> the - now more or less final - proposals on the table do nothing of the
> sort, and merely serve to cement the status quo.
>
> We have submitted our comments in two parts
>
> A overall political commentary can be found at
>
> https://comments.ianacg.org/pdf/submission/submission19.pdf
>
> A more technical response to finer issues and processes of the process
> is at
>
> https://comments.ianacg.org/pdf/submission/submission18.pdf
>
> In sum, we have firmly rejected both, the legitimacy of the process and
> the arbitrary manner in which it was conducted, and its result in the
> form of the final proposals on the table.
>
> parminder

Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
http://cis-india.org | tel:+91 80 40926283
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
https://twitter.com/pranesh_prakash