[governance] tyranny of majority (was Re: Debunking eight myths about multi-stakeholderism)

Tarakiyee tarakiyee at apc.org
Wed Apr 29 09:38:49 EDT 2015

I would agree that majority rule is no more essential to democracy
than any other elements of democracy. Majority rule without democracy
is simply mob rule.

I think any democratic governance system that's coercive can succumb
to mob rule or even to a well organised and well resourced minority.
Limits on majority rule often fail in practice due to impunity and
collective inaction.

Specifically in the context of MS, it's important to recognise that
multi-stakeholder processes are not all equal, an MS process with a
democratic outlook would encourage deliberation, transparency and
inclusion, all essential elements to mitigate tyranny, either by a
minority or a majority.

Best,
Tarakiyee