[governance] Remote participation

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:28:20 EDT 2015

Dear Arsene,
It used to be (my observation) that meetings concerning the internet had a
default position of trying to make their proceedings accessible online - if
you are discussing a communication tool it seems good sense also to use it.
However recently (again my observation) this practice has become less
common. The ITU, the IGF and ICANN do their best within their financial
capabilities, some institutions having larger budgets than others.
"[I]nternational IG meetings" is something of an awkward construct since
the majority of IG meetings are international in nature - in their speakers
and/or their participants.

I checked (not as carefully as I might have done - my non-virtual life is
quite busy at the moment) for remote access to the meeting in the Hague.
Judith says that remote access was available, but I would propose that the
links were rather less easy to find than is usual with a meeting of that
size. Recently I became aware of a meeting to be held in Malta at the end
of the month. I was interested to attend so asked about remote
participation. I was told that they were trying but the budget probably
wouldn't stretch so far.
I hope this clarifies my original message.

I agree with Daniel, David and Michael - participation is crucially
important, and in the context of the internet should NOT be measured in
terms of physical presence.

Best wishes
Deirdre