[governance] Chairs statement from GCCS

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 14:18:57 EDT 2015

But surely that is the point of my blogpost <https://gurstein.wordpress.com/2015/04/19/another-example-of-multistakeholder-governance-in-action-the-global-cyberspace-15-unicorn/>  Milton… Of course, the GCCS Chairman’s report isn’t “binding”, but nor is the NM Outcome document with which the Chairman’s report so closely associates itself; and read this below as but one example (from ISOC) among an avalanche of others of the ascribed status of this “Multistakeholder” document of unknown legitimacy, questionable accountability and no evident representivity.

Panel on Global Internet Cooperation and Governance Mechanisms

http://internetgovernancepanel.org

| MAY 2014

I.              Foundational principles enabling more collaborative internet governance

The Panel recognizes, fully supports, and adopts the IG Principles produced

in the NETmundial Statement, which “identified a set of common principles

and important values that contribute to an inclusive, multistakeholder, effective,

legitimate, and evolving IG framework and recognized that the Internet is a global

resource which should be managed in the public interest” (see Annex 1). These

NETmundial Principles are fundamental for the operationalization of a 21st century,

collaborative framework of governance for a unified Internet that is unfragmented,

interconnected, interoperable, secure, stable, resilient, sustainable, and trust

building.

Either “unicorns” such as the GCCS (or the NetMundial) have status and thus should be held publicly accountable to some standards of determining legitimacy, accountability, transparency, representivity; or they have no status and thus their outcomes should be treated as merely PR statements (Press releases/public relations outputs) with no significance or legitimacy beyond the opinions of the selected few who have been involved in issuing them.

Clearly they can’t be both and the studied ambiguity of switching from one status to the other depending on the intended audience is both fraudulent and dangerous.