[governance] On the legitimacy of civil-society-only meetings, e.g. ISF (was Re: APrIGF Macao...)

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 06:47:39 EDT 2015

Hello,

With my modest experience, I believe that we should not rule out the civil
society forum option. However, the contexts are so advanced that in most
countries the collaboration between the multi-actors works beautifully.

By cons, in most of our countries in Africa, regarding ICT, this approach
is constantly and intelligently dismissed by policymakers.

It then becomes sensible to entities of civil society to organize their own
forum like the IGF. This does not mean that the government and the private
sector are ignored. The recommendations of civil society generally serve as
a barometer, reference or indicator for policy makers. The private sector
is adapting to the behavior of the government.

But what is harder to accept, it is often the indifference of the UN
agencies and bilateral partners who are very familiar with these issues and
who, being present in the country, do not expect in terms of support financial
activities of entities of civil society engaged in this process.

The civil society forum on Internet governance is essential. With this in
mind, I also support and my colleagues CAFEC the social forum of the
internet.

The forum with the government and / or the private sector may not be
possible if the government or bilateral or multilateral partners engaged in
it.

For this reason I emphasized above that contexts are not the same and we
are facing a new paradigm as a major concern with CYBER CRIME IN
CYBERSPACE. Which constantly challenges the issue of trust, highlighting
the issue of cybersecurity.

> Hi Norbert.
>
> >Therefore, I'd like to ask directly, in relation to the fact that you
> posted, ³If even the World Economic Forum is recognising the
> importance of a multistakeholder model
> http://www.weforum.org/reports/future-role-civil-society, would not a
> civil-society-only meeting be a step backward?²:
>
> >Do you view this point about the WEF as being applicable only in
> reference to "workshops" in IGF / regional IGF contexts, or more
> broadly?
>
> Given the context, I was talking only about the IGF/regional IGF contexts.
>

> >And specifically, do you see a civil-society-only stand-alone forum
> such as the proposed Internet Social Forum as unquestionably
> legitimate, or do you see that point about the WEF as being relevant
> to questioning legitimacy of the Internet Social Forum?
>

> Just as governments can organise governments-only meetings and business
> can organise business-only meetings, so civil society can organise civil
> society-only meetings. Legitimacy of any one of these meeting is not the
> question to ask.
>
> Regards,
> Peng Hwa
>

> On 3/4/15 3:06 am, "Norbert Bollow" <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 17:57:01 +0000
> >"Ang Peng Hwa (Prof)" <TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg> wrote,

> >> Ok, no response is needed from me then because the context is
> >> important.
> >
> >Context is always important. However your posting was not clear on
> >whether you meant your pointed question *only* in reference to the
> >specific context of the previous discussion, or more generally. And
> >this still hasn't been clarified.
> >
> >Therefore, I'd like to ask directly, in relation to the fact that you
> >posted, ³If even the World Economic Forum is recognising the
> >importance of a multistakeholder model
> >http://www.weforum.org/reports/future-role-civil-society, would not a
> >civil-society-only meeting be a step backward?²:
> >
> >Do you view this point about the WEF as being applicable only in
> >reference to "workshops" in IGF / regional IGF contexts, or more
> >broadly?
> >
> >And specifically, do you see a civil-society-only stand-alone forum
> >such as the proposed Internet Social Forum as unquestionably
> >legitimate, or do you see that point about the WEF as being relevant
> >to questioning legitimacy of the Internet Social Forum?

> >> I hope you do not take offence but an analogy is not an argument.
> >
> >Of course it isn't. But if it should happen that someone expresses
> >doubts about that analogy being a quite appropriate one, I will be
> >happy to defend my view with arguments.
> >
> >Greetings,
> >Norbert
>
> ________________________________
> CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named and
> may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please delete it, notify us and do not copy, use, or disclose
> [...]

*SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*

*COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFEC*

*ICANN/AFRALO Member*
*ISOC Member*
Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
skype                 : b.schombe
blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr