[governance] Internet - whether to regulate it or not

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 20:16:17 EDT 2014

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org
[mailto:governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org] On Behalf Of Barry Shein
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 12:00 AM
To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org; Suresh Ramasubramanian
Cc: parminder; &lt,bestbits at lists.bestbits.net&gt,;
forum at justnetcoalition.org
Subject: Re: [governance] Internet - whether to regulate it or not

If we just equate funding with funding then, sure, one can make the argument
that with few exceptions people are funded to participate by some method,
often other than their own pocket.

I don't know IGF, never been to a meeting. Been to quite a few ICANN
meetings however. I think it's safe to say many on this list know me, in
some cases quite well and for many years, decades even.

My take is that this is a misleading equation.

By and large ICANN meetings (and processes) are heavily dominated by people
representing organizations (companies) with a vested interest in the
outcome.

Specifically registries, registrars, and people who make their living from
the same such as the various lawyers and consultants.

To my observation I don't see how you avoid this in a so-called
multi-stakeholder model. ICANN certainly hasn't, quite the opposite.

Almost the entire working agenda seems to be dominated by registry/registrar
issues. To the point that even sessions etc which might on first glance
appear to be focused on other issues in fact are dominated by
registry/registrar issues.

For example as an ISP I would drop in on the single ISP session to find they
are primarily (that's a nice way of saying "only") talking about issues such
as website take-downs for trademark/copyright violations. That does affect
them but for example what about the
IPv4/IPv6 transition?  Or network neutrality? Or policy issues relating to
CGN? Security and integrity issues? I don't think I've ever seen more than a
momentary nod to any of those topics. One meeting in Brussels was completely
taken up by how to fill in the new travel expense forms, or at least I left
after 45 minutes of the hour devoted to that topic since I don't get travel
expenses.

Yes there are a few activities which are exceptions and no doubt in a
defensive context they would be marched out much like the tardy drunken
husband showing he did in fact pick up milk & eggs as promised.

I really don't get this "multi-stakeholder" model and don't see how it can
lead to anything but what I describe.

I'm sure this won't make me popular in some circles but at some point
someone has to ask whether they are hallucinating or is the emperor in fact
naked?

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs at TheWorld.com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR,
Canada