[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sat Sep 27 16:20:48 EDT 2014

On September 27, 2014 at 06:50 parminder at itforchange.net (parminder) wrote:

 > On Friday 26 September 2014 11:19 PM, Barry Shein wrote:
 > > SNIP
 > >
 > > I don't know that closed gTLDs such as .BOOK or .BEAUTY or any other
 > > new gTLDs arose from any active policy judgement by ICANN, with some
 > > exceptions.
 >
 > Are you saying ICANN is not doing domain name policy development? Then
 > what is it doing. We hear so much about it all the time, and it spends
 > so much public money.

Um, no, but I think you get my point next...(but I get the rhetorical
quality.)

 > > They're the result of a more nihlistic application of free market
 > > mechanics:
 >
 > Exactly. An ideology that was embedded by the US gov in the Internet's
 > formative policy document (the framework of global commerce
 > <http://clinton4.nara.gov/WH/New/Commerce/read.html> in 1997 for
 > instance) and all the shenanigans at ICANN, very expensive ones at that,
 > are simply playing out the application of that unilaterally decided
 > ideology and its contextual principles... So much so for global
 > participaiton in technical and logical system administration of ICANN.
 > And this is not obvious only to those who wish not to see it for
 > whatever reasons.

We all like to imagine things are more principled then they actually
are.

  ...I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

  I do not think that they will sing to me.

  I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
  Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
  When the wind blows the water white and black.
  We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
  By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
  Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

         -- Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock, TS Eliot

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada