[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Sep 26 21:20:59 EDT 2014

On Friday 26 September 2014 11:19 PM, Barry Shein wrote:
> SNIP
>
> I don't know that closed gTLDs such as .BOOK or .BEAUTY or any other
> new gTLDs arose from any active policy judgement by ICANN, with some
> exceptions.

Are you saying ICANN is not doing domain name policy development? Then
what is it doing. We hear so much about it all the time, and it spends
so much public money.

> They're the result of a more nihlistic application of free market
> mechanics:

Exactly. An ideology that was embedded by the US gov in the Internet's
formative policy document (the framework of global commerce
<http://clinton4.nara.gov/WH/New/Commerce/read.html> in 1997 for
instance) and all the shenanigans at ICANN, very expensive ones at that,
are simply playing out the application of that unilaterally decided
ideology and its contextual principles... So much so for global
participaiton in technical and logical system administration of ICANN.
And this is not obvious only to those who wish not to see it for
whatever reasons.
>   Let people apply for these new gTLDs and if they can get
> the application reasonably straight and meet the financial
> requirements including application fee then, barring competition for
> the same gTLD (resolved by other processes), they're in.

Alas! the free market and individual responsibility doctrines ! Not
something most of the world was a part of deciding as apply to one of
its most critical resources, the Internet. But this is participation and
democracy for you. parminder