[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Sep 20 09:07:30 EDT 2014

On Friday 19 September 2014 12:51 AM, Barry Shein wrote:
> On September 18, 2014 at 19:33 parminder at itforchange.net (parminder) wrote:
>   > Yes, after such intense consultations, they decide that the global
>   > public is ok with giving .health to a US organisation that promotes the
>   > interests of big pharma against cheap generic drugs, which is a matter
>   > of life and death to so many poor people, is likely to auction .book to
>   > Amazon as a closed generic, so that Amazon holds the rights to what can
>   > be called as a digital book, and so many other monstrosities...
>
> There seems to be this idea floating around that new TLDs have some
> higher purpose than just a place to register SLDs.

You probably dont know that the.health in its current arrangement will
be 'policed'
<https://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/applicationdetails:downloadpicposting/495?t:ac=495>
as to who would be given sub domain names under it and who will be
refused.... My problem is that this will be done by a US group, close to
big pharma, following US norms, standards and law, while English is
spoken widely outside the US and this should have been done by a body
that is subject to international norms/ standards/ law. In any case, US
norms/ standards about intellectual property - the biggest costs in
drugs - is most extreme and most contested, a US based organisation,
close to US big pharma should certainly not be doing the 'policing'.

> The idea has come up from time to time in a highly inconsistent manner
> which feeds the confusion. So it's understandable. Much like people
> imagine there's someone in charge of internet content in general.
>
> Similar for .BOOK.
>
> With some notable exceptions here and there (e.g., GAC non-binding
> input) ICANN's process for new TLDs has been registry/registrar driven

Exactly the problem... These things should be driven by global public
interest, but just by the interests of the concerned industry , over
whom ICANN should be acting as a regulator. It is such a complete
governance/ regulatory model screw up which is the real problem with
ICANN. It is so structural that it needs basic changes, which is why I
have never bothered to engage with all thsoe superficial engagement
processes that ICANN keeps devising and running...

> and only rarely based on some strict notion of what should be done
> with the TLD beyond perhaps keep to the implied theme at least until
> registrations slow down.

Of course the notion that market takes care of all, every aspect of
public interest as well, and only if market slows down it needs to be
somehow pushed! Now I cant begin arguing with you, or that matter with
McTim, on such basic ideological issues. It only hurts that such
sentiments have taken over key global 'civil society' spaces to in fact
become the dominant sentiments.

parminder