[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

Louis Pouzin (well) pouzin at well.com
Fri Sep 19 00:40:24 EDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 4:30 AM, Norbert Klein <nhklein at gmx.net> wrote:

> Thanks - can you please elaborate on "no-strings attached travel funding
> to participate in person" - and I would welcome to see whether or not this
> is a general experience, for example for GNSO council members, chairs of
> official ICANN working groups, and others of the "many thousands of people
> around the world as the policy making community."
>
> Norbert Klein
> Cambodia

- - -

Perhaps it's an opportunity to re-re-publish a note on travel financing for
people from less developed countries (LDC).

http://www.open-root.eu/about-open-root/news/financing-ldcs-in-the-wsis-process

LDC people are very few in IGF related meetings. OTOH the dominant
participants are the ICANN nomenklatura. If they traveled on low fare
flights, stayed in low cost hotels, and dined in local places, 3 to 4 times
more LDC people could be funded to attend the meeting.

ICANN thrives on domain names fees. That's our money. A percentage should
be earmarked for LDC people traveling to UN meetings. But ICANN is so
unaccountable.

Louis.