[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Sep 18 14:33:59 EDT 2014

Hi,

Many of us within ICANN have been arguing for a while that this money
needs to be earmarked for developing economies, and this this should be
a center piece of ICANN's so-called globalization efforts.  For example
the deployment for local and/or IDN gTLDS in a new remedial round and/or
helping to bolster the infrastructure for domain name registry service
providers in developing economies so that applying for domain names is
something that fits local and regional needs.  Any plans are still very
much in the hand waving stage.  But we have decided now was time to get
more specific about it.  There is a WG working
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/New+GTLDs> on it and I am
sure they would be happy to see more participants with a way to do
something like this. The group is working on trying to craft advice on
what a next round should fix about this round and what the best way of
supporting users at large is.  Lots of nitty gritty work to be done
there.  And more voices are always helpful when trying to achieve a near
impossible goal.

The Board has not yet agreed to kick of the auction funds discussion
saying they did not know whether there would be an significant funds.
The NCSG (Non Commercial Stakeholder Group) has been pestering the Board
about this for a while and it is a topic almost every time we talk to
them.  Well, I never thought there was a doubt, but now they should be
convinced as well.  So time to try again.

Of course the group mentioned above, mostly among the At Large
participants and among some Government Advisory Committee members, is
not the only group with an idea on how to spend this money.  Many will
have a suggestion on how it should be spent.

avri