[governance] Re: [bestbits] Call for making the IGF permanent

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Mon Sep 1 10:24:09 EDT 2014

Don't need to be dogmatic Carlos.

The UN system is one of the most flexible and adaptive one can dream of. It is a very welcoming space for innovative governance thinking.

So it can be a UN spin-off as we have many interesting examples, it can be an entity such as a PPP with a contract to the UN, it can be many things within a UN convention or framework, giving it a special status. So instead of rushing to far too early conclusions, it would rather be just appropriate to mention. I am sure DiploFoundation or Just_Net can bring some good ideas as well.
- to transform the IGF mandate into a permanent formal body
	(emphasizing the shift from an UNDESA project to a more "serious" thing)
- to make sure that difference sources of funding are able to provide the IGF a sustainable and efficient action
	(to make sure that all funding good will is welcome, including a Montevideo I* one or an ICANN direct support (for helping to shape the public policy decision making of the IG)...
- to think of what formal status can it be given to for the IGF to have a democratic multistakeholder governance and structure.
	( to keep track and spirit of the NetMundial progress)

Along these simple lines, I don't see any betrayal of the NetMundial final statement (and comments).

We might not need "to request". We might be much more efficient - if CS act with unanimity, i.e. being very strong in its stance - if the statement goes like : All CS participating to the 2014 IGF commend unanimously the possibility for the UN to envision the IGF as ....

and a less formal and directive:
"we request the UN Secretary General to  establish the IGF as a permanent multistakeholder forum.  We also request that the UN Secretary General work with the IGF and its stakeholders to strengthen its structure and processes."

JC