[governance] Re: [JNC - Forum] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Oct 29 07:06:32 EDT 2014

On 29.10.14 06:41, parminder wrote:
> Developing countries, including India, have for decades been crying
> hoarse, pleading, 'please, become more fair and democratic...'. Such
> appeals get the most humiliating responses - from a  stony silence, to,
> well, 'we made the Internet, and so have some regard and patience'.

First, let me repeat, that the Internet is different.

But if it was not, and the Internet was indeed the "natural resource
(within their borders)" that most Governments imagine it is, here is a
nice scenario:

India to Kuwait: Folks, you sit on a huge amount of oil. You don't need
that much 'please, become more fair and democratic...' ... and give some
of it to us, for free. So that we can have a piece of that resource too.

Kuwait to India: go away, it is ours.

(eventually Kuwait gets invaded by a less polite, but better armed third
party, that too, wants their deserved share of Kuwait's oil. India
starts asking the same question the new governor... or not?)

Back to Internet. The IPv4 allocation process is part of it's
distributed trust architecture. The Internet is designed after human
society communication model and it has no single point of failure. From
this follows, it has no single point or chain of command. Internet is a
very complex graph of relationships.

Thing is, Internet was and is being built by everyone. Fortunately, that
is *not* governments. So in essence, the Internet is being built by
individuals (sometimes using their corporate heavy weight) from all
around the world, including India. As with anything that is done by
people, governments want their share. They want to control it, so that
they get to decide who participates and who does not -- and execute
various punishments, such as the "Three Strike" excommunication laws in
some countries. They also want to tax it.

Thing is, because *most* (or all) governments are not democratic, no
matter what they claim, they do not know how to do it properly. This is
why, every government out there wants total control over the whole
thing. They will experiment with every possible venue, from the UN, ITU,
GAC, puppet CS, science, tech etc representatives.

This is going to ultimately fail, until a global government is formed,
that might eventually seize control of the Internet. Many prophesy books
claim this will happen, some day. But this day is not today.

Daniel