[governance] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 02:25:56 EDT 2014

> > [Guru]: I understand that current allocation is as per "need" (in
> contrast
> > to equity between sub-regions). However, the allocation is also
> > "first-come-first-serve" in addition to "need". Put together, the
> resource
> > is allocated to whoever establishes "need on a first-come-first-serve"
> > basis. As a result, India's late adoption of the Internet exposes it to
> an
> > almost empty resource pool of IPv4 addresses.
>
> It wasn't almost empty when India first got online.  Everyone is in
> the same boat in
> terms of constrained resources.  There is no "inequity" when everyone
> suffers equally.  See below:

Let me get this right. You are saying that India is not a late entrant
because when the first person from India got an internet connection there
were a lot of IP addresses available. Therefore, in your head, late entrant
has nothing to do with the fact that less than 20% of India has access to
Internet and that India is adding almost a million internet connections a
month. And you say our situation is "equitable" to Japan with 95% broadband
penetration and a major chuck of the IPv4 pool? Right. Ok. Agreed. There is
no inequity. You win.