[governance] RE: From Confusion to Clarification

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Nov 29 13:28:07 EST 2014

Wolfgang:
This is a charmingly Kleinwachterian approach to things, but forgive me if I dissent.

I think each of the different viewpoints of civil society can be, and already are, represented by CS organizations' own publications. The idea that "Each of the six groups under the CSCG (IGC, BB, JNC, NCSG, Diplo, APC) could nominate four authors" to represent all of the spectrum of civil society just doesn't work. IGC is a mailing list containing a vast diversity of ideologies, who the heck would they nominate? At the other end of the spectrum, JNC is a single-ideology group, and to a lesser extent so is our IGP (Internet Governance Project). APC is already part of NCSG, BB, and IGC, do they get triple representation? Furthermore, as Andrea Glorioso correctly stated, the plethora of written materials churning out of this environment is already overwhelming, the last thing we need is more.

If you want to do this right, then have an ideologically broad and diverse group select some of the best _existing_ publications, or excerpts from publications, that can summarize and explain the spectrum of viewpoints in civil society on IG issues. The selection of issues would also be important: some of us concentrate on very direct and more focused aspects of IG (e.g., names and numbers, routing, interconnection, standards) while others focus on much broader issues that go beyond IG alone (e.g., freedom of expression, access, economic policy) The point here would be to reveal and document the full ideological or policy diversity among us.

However, even if you adopt that more reasonable approach, the danger of representing some views as hegemonic or accepted by all when they are not remains. We all get a bit irritated I think when Parminder tells us that our views are not really civil society views, and I can easily see this project leading to those kinds of debates. And I am not sure I see the point of clamoring to get represented in such a publication when we could be pushing our views directly into ongoing policy debates that actually matter.

--MM