[bestbits] [governance] From Confusion to Clarification

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sat Nov 29 13:10:46 EST 2014

I think what I was leading towards was that perhaps as important, or
more important, than eliminating acronyms per se is pointing the
acronyms (somehow, occasionally) towards home pages or even just
single documents which give some background and explanation and
identifies who or what the acronym stands in for in context and by
intention.

Maybe what we really need is an IG Acronym Registry but we'd spend at
least two years arguing whether it should be part of some other
organzation or independent and how accountability would work
precisely.

And perhaps better hyperlinked documents, this wasn't supposed to be
such a problem, even Ted Nelson's work in the early 1960s had this
more or less solved.

Because if you rely on google et al to resolve terms in your documents
the result is pretty bad for these purposes.

Or perhaps they are our shibboleths.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada