[governance] URGENT: Last call for feedback on CS participation in NETmundial Initiative

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Sun Nov 23 23:36:52 EST 2014

I am MORE in favor IGC engaging with NMI because:

  1.
the rationale and explanations from Carlos Afonso and cgi.br colleagues are clear and sensible; those who helped pull off NetMundial have earned IGC’s support
  2.
The views of the I-orgs, who were against IGF before they were for it  (cough cough), are also clear but less convincing, seeing as those orgs do not claim to be the appropriate venues themselves to address the range of issues likely to be (in my opinion) brought to NMI, and offer no alternative. Should NMI prove to be of some merit, no doubt the I orgs will engage at a later date.
  3.
Likewise, the more JNC has explained its views, the less weight they hold, seeing as they appear focused on a specifically anti-US big (internet) business animus , completely neglecting to note the new giants on the block such as Alibaba's record-setting IPO which has resulted in a firm that has a market cap far exceeding the Amazon boogeyman, as well as Walmart's.  (not that there is anything wrong with Alibaba, but obsessively picking on the little guy/small(er) business - Amazon ; ) - seems to be misplaced and unhelpful to multistakeholder dialog and governance. (OK to be fair JNC is in good company picking on Amazon, since like JNC, Wall Street is also giving Amazon a hard time of late, as are European publishers Hachette and Springer who are also managing to push back against Amazon themselves. Anyway, this anti-Amazon obsession of some is but a sideshow/distraction to consideration of broader Internet governance issues and should therefore carry limited  weight in IGC's own considerations, although of course everyone is free to voice whatever views they wish, whether of Amazon or something more relevant to the issues at hand.
  4.
Last but not least, the historical triumph of - cgi.br and ICANN coopting WEF - to facilitate industry engagement in broader IG policy issues discussions and implementations should be recognized for what it is, and not mistaken for a sign of the failure but rather is a mark of success/the mainstreaming of Internet governance, as matters of truly global Import and requiring truly global solutions.

Sent from Windows Mail