[governance] Re: NMI and the Brazilian CGI.br

parminder at itforchange.net parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Nov 22 17:34:22 EST 2014

Dear members of CGI.Br and signatories of the appeal for support to the
ICANN-WEF global IG  Initiative;

The Brazilian government and CGI.Br  (Brazilian Internet Steering
Committee) has a huge amount of political capital, earned from the
progressive global stances of Brazil over the years, and an unique
pluralist and participatory domestic model for dealing with technical and
administrative functions related to the Internet embodied in CGI.Br.

It was due to this immense political capital, and the fact that the
Brazilian President took such a clear and strong stance against US's
surveillance of the whole world, that the world backed Brazil when it
decided to to take up leadership to explore a new path for global
governance of the Internet. One is of course speaking here of the
NetMundial meeting in Sao Paolo. Although the meeting was visibly taken
over by ICANN in many ways, including foisting someone who has no civil
society record as the civil society leader for the meeting, the world at
large stood by Brazil and accepted that it had acted in good faith and has
global public interest at its heart. This is despite and apart from the
fact that NetMundial outcomes had a very mixed reception among progressive
civil society and developing country government.

However, when one spends its political capital, it dips, like any other
capital. Brazil's ambivalence over the post NetMundial months at global
forums on what really was its plan for the kind of institutional
transformation that its President first spoke of at the famous UN speech
has been noted with considerable disappointment. (While its work at the
Human Rights Council to bring privacy related resolutions has been
welcomed.) Many people, however, have still been willing to give Brazil
the benefit of doubt, given that it has been in the middle of a difficult
presidential election. However, its support to a World Economic Forum
centred global political initiative for global governance of the Internet
would  shift the balance, perhaps decisively. This would be extremely
unfortunate. Brazil greatly risks losing its position of global trust and
leadership among the progressive global actors, and I just hope people
directly involved with these unseemly forays understand this long term
danger.

I am greatly disappointed that so many friends in the CGI.Br has now come
out to vouchsafe or front for what is basically a WEF and ICANN (basically
doing US's bidding) game. One good proof of this fact is that CGI.Br was
sought to be co-opted only when the earlier effort failed in August-
September 2014. Why do they expect everyone to be so naïve so as to not
get the obvious point; CGI.Br has been pulled in simply to give cover to
what is essentially a global governance plan led by the global elite,
which is what the WEF represents.

Friends from the CGI.Br, have you not read the WEF documents about their
vision of global governance of the Internet, which we have briefly quoted
in the JNC statement ? Do you feel no need to respond to these issues?
What is the basis for you to think that just because they have, belatedly,
invited you to join it, they will change their spots, from being what
everyone knows WEF to be. Do the Brazilians, who kind of gave the world
the World Social Forum, really need to be reminded of the basic lessons
with regard to the designs of global domination by a certain economic and
political elite, and their impatience with democracy, especially at the
global level!

Again, you are fast expending the political capital that the Brazilian
government and CGI.Br has,  something that I find to be such a great loss,
and very much hope were not the case. *The global progressive community
has consistently  supported you, but this support cannot be taken for
granted, which is my unfortunate duty to tell you, as you come out
publicly to seek global support for a WEF centred global governance
initiative.*

There is still time. Please withdraw from supporting the WEF-ICANN
initiative, which is a foray towards very dangerous directions, and could
even be historic in its damaging impact on global democracy. Focus instead
on gathering a more public interest oriented set of global actors to take
forward what was initiated by the Brazilian President's historic speech at
the UN last year, however imperfect has the journey been since then.

Your statement says that you are willing to dialogue and work together
with everyone. Some of us from global progressive civil society offer
ourselves for such a dialogue. We have in our hands today the interests
and fate of the people of the world,  and of the future generations. Let
us deal with this huge responsibility with adequate care and foresight.
History would be a harsh judge if we do not, as is my opinion it would be
on the Brazilians rooting for an WEF centred global governance system if
you do not pull back even now.

With sincere regards,

parminder