[governance] URGENT: Last call for feedback on CS participation in NETmundial Initiative

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Fri Nov 21 14:50:20 EST 2014

On 22 Nov 2014, at 3:17 am, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cool, there is a now fork in this discussion!…
>
> All those who think we are discussing somewhat abstract notions drawn from International Relations theory please follow David Cake,

	I know you aren't discussing ideas from IR theory, Michael, but your arguments would be improved if you understood them a little. For example the standard definition of Internet Governance from WGIG derives straight from regime theory. And it might help you understand why the rest of civil society sees the role of democracy in internet governance differently (hint: when an autocratic nation casts a ballot in an international forum, democracy is not enhanced thereby).

> everyone else can stay and grind their way forward here discussing issues of concern to Civil Society.

	Your tireless rhetoric on the issue of neo-liberal economics may not be of as much concern to broader civil society as you think, Michael. I think by this stage most of us are fairly familiar with it.

> I’m guessing that the argument appearing as an Editorial in the peer reviewed Journal of Community Informatics won’t count (since I edit the journal)

	It only counts as peer reviewed if it was actually peer reviewed, yes.
	And I was also hoping for something that had references and such as academic papers normally do. But a rant that is strategically situated next to some academic papers will have to do for now,

> re: your challenge concerning peer reviewed publication,

	So, the answer to my question is no, then? OK.

> but I do note via Google Scholar that the blogpost has been cited at least once in what appears to be a peer reviewed conference paper. (That isn’t bad for an academic citation given that most journals etc. need a minimum of 18 months from receipt to publication and the paper only appeared about 4 months ago.)

	Being cited in a peer reviewed conference paper is not the same as being one. I could cite the Daily Mail in a peer reviewed paper if it was relevant.

	But the only cite of that editorial I could find was by your JNC colleague Richard Hill in a seminar paper, not sure if that was peer reviewed. Richard must have liked it though, it was the only thing he referenced not written by himself!

	Cheers

		David