[governance] Fwd: Re: [bestbits] Whether to participate in NETmundial Initiative - RFC

Guru Guru at ITforChange.net
Wed Nov 19 02:36:13 EST 2014

apologies for cross posting
regards
Guru
for those inclined to participate in the NMI (and according legitimacy
to a power group, and perhaps as Ian points as a possible danger 'a
corporate takeover of internet governance '), I would point to
http://www.nationofchange.org/2014/11/17/sordid-tales-selfishness-super-rich
and many similar articles on that site...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [bestbits] Whether to participate in NETmundial Initiative
- RFC
Date: 	Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:59:51 +0530
From: 	Guru <Guru at ITforChange.net>
To: 	bestbits at lists.bestbits.net

Often we seem to be saying that participation is sufficient end in itself

for what purpose
for whose gain
who do we represent in our participation
who will lose by the participation
who holds the power in the participation forum/ makes the rules of the game
how much can we fool ourselves about the power we have in the forum

These questions are extremely important to engage with.
On the other hand, we can only wake up those who are sleeping (and
hopefully there are many who may wake up at this point - of a
neo-liberal attempt to capture of global governance), not those who
pretend to be....

regards
Guru