[governance] India and Multistakehoolderism

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Nov 4 21:54:53 EST 2014

On Tuesday 04 November 2014 11:13 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
> FYI
>
> http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/features/smartbuy/tech-news/india-may-dilute-stand-on-net-control/article6524088.ece

Hi Wolfgang

Very interesting move, largely in keeping with how things have been in
India I would say. But I do hope that with all these different pieces
being moved India would soon be able to form a good and relatively
complete picture of how how it sees IG, both at the global level and at
Indian level.

Right now there are just too many ambiguities about what part of IG is
being spoken of, and how is it proposed t be dealt with. You would of
course have noted how muddled and inaccurate the following part of the
press report is ..

"Globally, there is a debate on who should control the working of the
Internet. At present, a US-based body called the Internet Corporation
for Assigned Names and Numbers or ICANN, governs the broad functioning
of the Internet."

Now if indeed the referred note is speaking about critical Internet
resources management work, India and (indeed 90 percent of world's
countries) have always supported ICANN and its family of insitutions to
keep doing it. (In fact, on a somewhat different count, Just Net
Coalition has asked for this system to be recognised and incorporated in
international law and agreement, something which the latest India's
position of IANA transition also asks for such an reconsigning internal
law) ...

I will request you and others, lets stop talking whether MS or ML
(multistakeholder or multilateral), but speak about what precise
institutional system and how it works, or is supposed to work. Lets work
on clear details and not slogans.

I have asked you a thousand times but you would not respond - do you
think that the CoE Council on Internet issues (it is called media
something, and with which you have worked) -  which takes expert inputs
(like it did of your experts committee) and holds stakeholder
consultations and then adopts what it thinks fit to adopt in the council
which is inter-gov - as a multistakeholder system or not. If not, two
questions (1) have you told them so much when you were appointed an
expert and in your other numerous interactions with them and (2) what is
your proposal as to  how the CoE council on Internet issues should
work.  (I am giving this example only so that we can talk about exact
and precise issues and institutional systems as well as possible
alternatives.)

Everyone agrees that technical and day to day administration should be
done by MS systems, within higher public policy principles that should
be administered in a arms length manner with clearly laid out process.
However *determining" public policy issues is a different matter, and it
should involve deep stakeholder consultations but needs decision making
by people's representatives alone... This is my view, and if yours is
different lets hear about it. But on a precise and clear level, and not
theoretical abstract stuff...

parminder