[governance] Two IETF Internet-Drafts about human rights and censorship

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 16:19:35 EST 2014

Wolfgang,

Sorry I didn't get to say hello to you in L.A.!

This is what was posted on DNS-OPS list last week:

"Registration will open shortly for the Workshop on DNS Future Root
Service Architecture.

> Location: Hong Kong, HK
> Date: December 8-9, 2014
> Hosted by: ISOC-HK
> Sponsors: ZDNS/BII and CNNIC
> Co-chairs: Warren Kumari and Paul Vixie

This two day workshop will focus on the DNS root service architecture
issues raised by two current Internet Drafts:

1. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-dnsop-root-loopback-00
   Decreasing Access Time to Root Servers by Running One on Loopback
   W. Kumari, Ed.; P. Hoffman

2. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lee-dnsop-scalingroot-00
   How to scale the DNS root system?
   Xiaodong Lee; Paul Vixie; Zhiwei Yan

These two drafts take very different approaches to the problem of
increasing root zone availability to recursive name servers. In this
workshop we will explore the differences and similarities, with an eye
towards revising both drafts and clarifying their roles in the DNS
root service architecture.

Invitations including travel support will be extended to root name
server operators (bcc'd here), and to the I-D authors. The workshop
will be open to any interested party, and presentations will be
streamed live and stored via Youtube. There will be no cost for
attending the workshop. Pre-registration will be required.

Information on how to register and on the proposed agenda will be sent
shortly to this same distribution. For travel planning purposes, the
meeting will run all day on December 8, with a social event that
evening, and for half a day on December 9, finishing immediately after
lunchtime."

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
<wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:
> Thx. Stephane, this is useful and helpful.
>
> BTW, is there any discussion with rgard to the drafts on the number of root servers for the authoritative root? This was a (non-paper?) by Paul Vixie and two Chinese partners. What I have seen is that this was more or less watered down or rejected. Any news here?
>
> Thanks
>
> Wolfgang

Cheers,

McTim