[governance] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Mon Nov 3 13:09:20 EST 2014

Yes but the point is that the Russian Federation didn't split between
RIPE and APNIC because, for example, a large part of their sovereign
territory is in the continent of Europe and another in Asia.

In theory they perhaps could have argued for that and "double-dipped".
It may have been to their advantage, a bigger pool.

But the make-up of the RIRs was (with some pragmatic exceptions) sets
of nation-states.

The RIRs list these countries quite clearly, there's no reading
between the lines involved:

  https://www.arin.net/knowledge/rirs/countries.html

And head that with:

    This comprehensive list of countries is provided as a reference
    tool to identify the region in which any particular country or
    economy is located.

I believe "or economy" is just saying what I say when I point out that
there are some pragmatic exceptions (e.g., island territories.)

THE original point I was addressing was that someone said allocating
IP addresses along "Westphalian" lines was (choose a word,
inappropriate? unprecedented?) I don't think that's a good
characterization.