[governance] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Mon Nov 3 03:21:26 EST 2014

On 01.11.14 06:02, Barry Shein wrote:
> Perhaps stating a contrapositive is even more clear: Other than
> perhaps some small outlying islands or similar special cases no
> nation-state is split between two RIRs. Even the vast Russian
> Federation which spans two continents is entirely within only the RIPE
> NCC region.

My understanding of the way people in Russia think is that they prefer
to be considered an entity on their own. If not, they would prefer to be
part of Europe.

Them being part of the RIPE is for one, and one reason alone: RIPE was
the only functioning entity they could interact with. RIPE, being
informal group of Europeans were much more tolerant to the Russians and
always interfaced with them on practical matters. They always had
various issues trying to bypass RIPE, which is what they would naturally
do, as their other choice was to deal with the US based Internic and
that was difficult at the time. We also need to remember that within a
nation-state, there are many different, often antagonizing interests.

The development and outcome of the interaction between Russia and RIPE
is an interesting topic to study.

Daniel